Monday 17 June 2013

HENS TEETH NEEDLECASE WORKSHOP 1

Late last year I went to Viv's Needlecase workshop at Weston Hall.

As you may recall, I am a massive fan of Hens Teeth - glorious gentle stitching - and had already been on
a couple of the Haberdashery Brooch classes given by Viv.  On the second brooch class I made brooches out of haberdashery cards, buttons etc like this one:


So when it came to making needlecases - rather than lots of sewing - i am not a great sewist and cheat whenever I can, I decided to to use some bits and pieces of paper stuff I had.  When I was in France a couple of years ago I bought an old Lotto set, including lovely old cards - very damp and not a little smelly but rather fabulous once dried out and put in a container with a scented sachet and left for a while.

I love the needlecases Viv makes with old battered quilts - the loveliest colours and beautiful washed and worn - so, I decided to stick a piece of quilt onto the Lotto card, fixed in a bit of ribbon to tie it as I went and here is the result:
Next in line was a lovely little booklet with a pretty picture on the cover that I bought last year, I pulled out the innards of the booklet, stitched a piece of quilt to it using blanket stitch - get me - included the ties as I went - you can see the inside above and here is the cover:
The tie on this one is a piece of bias binding dipped in tea which came unfurled, but I think it makes a nifty little wrap around tie!  Just had time to make a third! Made from two out of a set of mats also bought last
year in France, both the centre circles inside have a quilted circle attached and the mats are stitched together at one side and tied with a ribbon at the other.
Taken together, a fine days workshop was had by all and lots produced in a short time!
 To see what I made at the second needlecase workshop - a magical chatelaine that I think is one of the finest things Ive every made! - please check out tinkeringbythesea.blogspot

Many thanks to Viv for the use of some of her lovely photographs.

Love to All
xx
Di


4 comments:

  1. Love Viv's creations and LOVE what you have made at the workshops Di! You are a master of re-use and recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS SAM! I NEVER SEEM TO BE ABLE TO RESIST USING SOME OLD BITS OF PAPER IN WHAT IM MAKING - TRY AS I MIGHT.
    XX
    DI

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration to us all Di. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Viv! It's only what u bring out in me!
      Xxdi

      Delete