Sorry to be absent for so long - but life is much more hectic now and time for creativity is severely
Just recently, I wanted to make changes to the sitting room, which was my sister Lynda's and which adjoins
the kitchen diner (all of which joined up is a huge L shape). For many reasons I needed to make it my
own again, and, as I cant spare the time for a full paint job I got rid of the suite, bought some Ercol frames moved some of the bulkier furniture out of the room and did a bit of upholstery. I'm also on with shelving so that it can temporarily double as a studio.
The frames are were in good shape, and, only £100.00 - but came with no cushions. As a new set from
Ercol is over £350.00 I bought foam blocks, made a pattern then set about the foam with a carving knife!
Fair enough it is the crude but effective method, it did, however, get the job done. I went to Abakhan for
the fabric, 3 different linens which I bought by weight, on offer 50% off cost me only £38.00. The foam
was £60.00 so the whole suite done came in at around £200.00.
I made box cushions using the envelope method so no zips - fairly tricky to sew too. The foam is a bit unwieldy to get in and out of the covers but perseverance pays off! Though I am definitely from the 'make it have it' school of upholsterers I am quite pleased with the end result!
My little doggies, Bert & Daisy are also quite fond of the results!