Thursday 8 March 2012

INCHIE BY INCHIE ..........a token of my esteem

Hello Violets!

Firstly thanks for all the messages of support I've had from you all when my Sister, Lynda, died suddenly
last month. I am blessed indeed to have good friends, thanks most especially to Julie Arkell and Taylor and the lovely women on the papier mache workshop for their love and care when I got the awful news at West Dean.

Just posting the progress I've made with the inchies (which arrived whilst I was at West Dean).

Here are the bits and bobs I'd collated months ago ......


My inchie is based on a token - I was so besotted with the Threads of Feeling exhibition I went to last year with Danielle - that I thought I would do a 'token' inchie.  I ditched the fabric hearts which were too fiddly and opted instead to do a heart made up of french knots!  Thereby conquering my complete inability to make a french knot.

The inchie token is made up of a piece of stripy pale pink silk, then a piece of antique silk with part of a flower stitched in a gold thread with french knots in the corners, then the french knot heart. The gorgeous
antique silk is truly beautiful - I got this marvellous morceau from my friend Sandie at Rag Rescue.

Here are a couple of the inchies ................


I hope to finish my inchies and send them off in the post by the end of next week and am sorry it has taken me a while.  They have, though, been very therapeutic. 

Tomorrow I'm lucky enough to be attending the private view of Julie Arkell's solo exhibition; 
'I've Dusted The Farmyard' which continues until 12 May 2012 at the Bluecoat Display Centre, Liverpool.

Love to All
xxDi


10 comments:

  1. Dearest Di...wow!
    You have certainly been busy. I am glad that we were able to offer you some distraction from your sadness....I think that Lynda has been with you, giving you inspiration.
    I wish I could go to Miss Arkell's solo exhibition with you.
    Wish I could spend a little time with you - period.
    Sending my love...and love for those beautiful little inchies.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jone! Wish you were near too! Julie's exhibition was fabulous and it was lovely to see her. She sends her love.
      xx
      di

      Delete
  2. Oh My Goodness.......! Di, your Inchies are just lovely and so beautifully thought out!!! Every time I look at them in the future, I will remember your heartfelt thoughts as you were designing and sewing them. This project gets better and better as time goes by and friends add their handwork & stories! And congrats for plowing ahead and mastering the "art of the French knot"!!!!!!! I have fallen in love with them, but they still can be rather pesky if I don't concentrate 100% while sewing them!
    LOVE- Oolie
    P.S. Please give Julie A. a rather all embracing hug from me when you see her at the exhibit. I hope you will take and post a ton of photos from the exhibit so we can all enjoy her latest works of art...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oolie! I still find the french knots difficult but im persisting though they are rather varied in size and shape!
      I hugged Julie within an inch of her life for all of you. Claire was there too so it was a double treat.
      xx
      di

      Delete
  3. Di,
    I love your inchies. Hope you are doing as good as can be. How are the donkeys? Enjoy Julie's show and take pictures. Sneak your donkey into the show and see if any one notices.
    xxoo,
    taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taylor! Im doing well I think and adjusting - some days are harder than others. My donkeys are just fine now though they were neglected in their box for a couple of weeks when I got home. I should have thought to sneak one in - what a good idea! Maybe next time. Loads of love to you! It was lovely to meet you at last. xxdi

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see your inches Diane!
    The Skating Monkey admires them a lot;)
    Love to YOU
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI BECKY!
      I ADMIRE THE SKATING MONKEY A LOT WHICH IS WHY I SAT MY INCHIE NEXT TO YOURS! LOADS OF LOVE COMING BACK TO YOU. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
      XX
      DI

      Delete
  5. Di- I look forward to the time when you will hug me within an inch of my life!!!!!! You are just the best, girlfriend!!!!!! I hope that you enjoyed Julie's exhibit TO THE MAX! And if you have any photos, please feel free to share on the PV Blog. I am SO envious of all of you Violets that live within driving distance of Julie's artwork exhibits! Lucky, lucky you!!!!!!

    Please note: I think French Knots are more beautiful and have a more handmade flare when not all the same size......so, please, proceed and enjoy the process.....the more varied, the better!!!!!!

    LOVE- Oolie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI OOLIE!
      THE PRIVATE VIEW WAS FABULOUS - IVE NEVER SEEN AS MUCH OF JULIE'S WORK ALL IN ONE PLACE. TOOK LOTS OF PICS AND WILL BLOG AS SOON AS I CAN.
      LOVELY ALSO TO CATCH UP WITH CLARE!
      MY FRENCH KNOTS CERTAINLY HAVE A HANDMADE FLAIR! IM KEEPING AT IT. THE INCHIES LEAVE ME FOR LINDA TODAY.
      I LOOK FORWARD TOO, TO HUGGING YOU WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE! XXDI

      Delete