Thursday 19 January 2012

WHERE DID LAST YEAR GO??

Hello Violets!


Happy New Year!  Hope you all had a fabulous Christmas.


I'm getting very excited about my first workshop of the year!  In about 10 days I'm off to West Dean to do Julie Arkell's paper mache workshop!  Yes again!


Last year you will recall, I made these figures:
I had a great deal of trouble dressing them as they all had limbs all over the shop and it was not nearly as easy as I had imagined!  I got little Iris, finished before Christmas (the little figure with her arms in the air) and have made some progress with 'Bless', the figure above in a shawl:

She still needs a bit of work but is pretty much there.  

Given my experience last year, this year I have decided to try more sculptural projects - which need no dressing!  I have a few ideas to conjure with and will post when I get back.

Very exciting too, I will be meeting Taylor! I'm so looking forward to having a Pantry Violet to work with.  I'm also looking forward to being in a workshop with Julie again, And seeing more of her lovely work - which I now truly appreciate!   

Here is her collection from last year ...............


Love to all
xx
Di


11 comments:

  1. Lucky you going doing a paper mache course with JA! I adore her work and was lucky enough to do a workshop last year where we made suffolk puff brooches and tick tock watches. I would so love to have a go a paper mache! Your Bless looks gorgeous! Have a great workshop x
    Sally xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. How spooky - only last night I was leafing through a magazine with someone and we were commenting on the Loop advertisement which features a Julie figure. Have a fantastic time Di - we've yet to meet, but you've alerted me to Sleaford Craft Centre which I have been to three times now, so I think of you! Last time I was there I saw some of the glove work you featured on Pantry Violets. It's always got such good things on show. Enjoy! Can't wait to see your next post. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Sally!
    Hi Jodie - glad you've made it to the Hub - I always go when im in Lincoln and love it.
    Check out my blog: tinkeringbythesea.blogspot.com
    for more of Jennifer Colliers work - I just posted about her. One day im sure we will meet up would love to meet you too. Will give JA your regards when I see her. xxdi

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh....I wish I was going to meet you two violets there at West Dean....sigh......I know you will have a magnificent time. Please give Miss Arkell my very best and a BIG hug to all three of you from me!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey jone! Miss you! Will give Julie and Taylor a hug from you. You will be in my thoughts. Your paper mâché also inspires me! Much love xxdi

      Delete
  5. Dear Di-
    You lucky duck!!!!!!! How I wish I was riding shot gun in your Smart Car or Mini Cooper (I've forgotten which it is!!!) as you dash down to West Dean for Julie's workshop! Have loads of fun and please post many photos of EVERYTHING!!!!! Your pieces from last year are adorable! I just love that place! Give Julie a big squeeze from me...one for yourself as well!!!! LOVE- Oolie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI OOLIE! I WISH YOU WERE COMING TOO! I AM VERY LUCKY I KNOW. ITS A SMART CAR AND IM VERY RELIEVED NO SNOW FORECAST - HURRAH.
      WILL DEFINITELY POST WHEN I GET BACK AND WILL PASS YOUR HUG ON TO JULIE.

      Delete
  6. Hey Di, I am officially jealous ......another Julie Arkell workshop, how wonderful.

    Love the little figures you made and I look forward to reading all about this next workshop.

    I wonder if Julie would consider workshops in Oz, blue sky and sunshine here, lovely and warm........ah well, one can but dream!!

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  7. BLESS YOU FOR THE COMMENT CLAIRE! IT WILL INDEED BE WONDERFUL 3 WHOLE DAYS PLAYING OUT WITH PAPER AND JULIE WILL BE GREAT.
    I KNOW JO GRANT AND JULIE CRUICE TRYING TO GET JULIE OUT TO AUSTRALIA SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD SPEAK TO HER - IF THINGS HAVE CHANGED YOU NEVER KNOW SHE MAY LIKE A TRIP DOWN UNDER! IF YOU DONT ASK YOU DONT GET! XXDI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you take lots of pictures, its such an inspriation to see the works in progress.
    Yours pieces are amazing!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will take lots of pics Julie and post when I get back. Thanks for your very kind words about my pieces! Looking forward to having another go! Xxdi

      Delete